Part One

| Professional recognition in your country

1.1. Which organisation recognises doctors eligible to practice in your country?
In case your country has more then one organisation which can provide professional recognition, please attach to this survey a simple list of names and websites where we can acquire more information.

Name:    Socialstyrelsen (The National Board of Health and Welfare)                             


Type of organisation (professional, government, etc.) Trade union and professional organisation                   


Department of regulations and licenses


Address: Socialstyrelsen

                    106 30 Stockholm


 Visits: Rålambsvägen 3, Stockholm                                                                     




Phone number: +46 (0) 75 247 30 00                                                               


Fax: +46(0) 752 473252                    


Contact person:    Department of Regulations and Licenses                                                                                               


E-mail:    socialstyrelsen@socialstyrelsen.se                                                                                                 


Website (s): www.socialstyrelsen.se                

1.2. What requirements/documents are necessary for a foreign doctor to practice medicine?
i.e. language skills, medical degree, insurance, immigration status.

You can find all the information needed on the website www.socialstyrelsen.se . There is also an English version available.


1.3. Are there any application deadlines (if so, when)?
Furthermore, how long does the professional recognition procedure usually take?

There are no specific deadlines for an application.

1.4. Are there any sort of examinations/interviews to apply for Medical Professional Recognition?

There are no examinations or interviews to apply for the MPR. However, there is language skill examination to obtain a license. There is more information about this on the website www.socialstyrelsen.se.

1.5.1. What kind of professional medical degrees are there in your country?


All the medical degrees are listed on the website www.socialstyrelsen.se.

Part Two

| Training in your country

2.1. Which organisation is responsible for medical training in your country?
In case your country has more than one organisation with this function, please attach to this survey a simple list of names and websites where we can acquire more information.




PHONE NUMBER:         




2.2. Besides professional recognition, is there any other requirement for a doctor to start his training/begin to work (i.e. examination, clerkship, internship)? Namely, which documents/examinations are necessary when applying for training/job?

Adequate skills in the Swedish language. More information is found on www.socialstyrelsen.se.

2.2.1. Where are training positions advertised?

They are advertised on the employer’s websites, some of them in the ads of Läkartidningen, which is a magazine given out by the Swedish Medical Association. Some positions are not advertised at all and one needs to call to the clinic itself and the head of the department.

2.4. How do applicants choose what and where they would like to train?

The training in Sweden is a job position, so the applicant needs to apply to a job to get employed. One needs to call the head of the department of the clinic they wish to work at or look out for ads on the hospital or clinic websites or in Läkartidningen.

2.5. Is there a fee/tuition for attending a training programme?

No, there is no fee for attending a PGT.

2.6. Do trainees receive a salary during training?


2.6.1. Moreover, what is the current salary and is overtime paid?

The current salary differs in different part of Sweden.

2.6.2. What type of contracts are there? How long are the working and on-calls times?

Most PGTs are permanent employment, however, in the beginning of a PGT, it is more likely that one is employed temporarily with a short term contract.

2.6.3. Are sick leave, vacation days, maternity leave, voluntary work allowed and do they entail a reduction of salary?

Yes. It depends on the reason one has to leave work and the employer.

2.7. In general terms, how is the training assessment done?
i.e. exams, evaluations, interviews, appraisal


The training is assessed by being tutored and mentored throughout the program with different kinds of assessment tools. Different clinics can have different needs for assessment and use different tools for it. There are DOPS, 360 evaluations. Some clinics want their residents to go through their recommended examination for that specific specialty. It all varies between employers and clinics.

Part Three

| Other details about training/working in your country

3.1. Is mobility possible inside and outside the country during your training?


3.4. Is there an accreditation procedure for training centres (and do they include visitations)?

Yes, but this depends on your employer and sometimes on your specialty.

3.6. Are there any differences in the application procedure according to the country of origin of a trainee?

Once one have obtained a medical license from Socialstyrelsen, there are differences in the application procedure according to the EU country of origin of a trainee.

3.7.1. Are there any restrictions for a foreign doctor who is undergoing training in your country to work there afterwards?


3.7.2. Moreover, is it possible for a trainee undergoing training in another EU/EEA country to do part of his training in your country? If so, what are the necessary requirements/documents?

Depends on in what way. If you do not have a Swedish medical license, it is not possible to do a PGT, however, it is possible to auscultate at a clinic.

3.8. Please summarise the general timeline between the time where a doctor has just graduated until he has attained a final senior post as an independent medical doctor.
In other words, please describe, in general terms, the training of a junior doctor in your country.

If graduation leads to a medical license, undergoing and fulfilling all the requirements of a residency program will lead to a specialist license. This will take at least 5 years depending on the specialty and how many specialities that are done at the same time. However, if graduation does not lead to a medical license, one needs to apply to an internship program in Sweden to obtain a medical license. This process can take various amounts of time as internship is  not guaranteed right away, but will take at least an extra 1.5 years.

3.9. Is it compulsory to have malpractice (or any other) insurance?


3.10. What is the general perspective/position on immigration of medical trainees to your country?


3.11. What is the general perspective/position on emigration of medical trainees to foreign countries?


3.13. Which organisation(s) specialise in assisting doctors in legal and work matters?
i.e. trade unions, medical chambers, other organizations.

The Swedish Medical Association (Sveriges Läkarförbund)