Part One

| Professional recognition in your country

1.1. Which organisation recognises doctors eligible to practice in your country?
In case your country has more then one organisation which can provide professional recognition, please attach to this survey a simple list of names and websites where we can acquire more information.

Name: Hellenic National Academic Recognition Information Center (NARIC) or DOATAP in Greek.
Type of organisation (professional, government, etc.): Governmental Organisation belonging to the Ministry of Education, Research and Religious Affairs

Address: Agiou Konstantinou 54, 10437, Athens, Greece
Phone number:  (+30) (210) 5281000, 5281053, 5233312, 5281010
Fax: (+30) (210) 5239525
Contact person: n/a
Website (s):

Address: Dioikitirio (Ministry Makedonias-Thrakis), 54123, Thessaloniki, Greece
Phone number: (+30) 2310-379172 , 2310-278256
Fax: (+30) 2310-37937

1.2. What requirements/documents are necessary for a foreign doctor to practice medicine?
i.e. language skills, medical degree, insurance, immigration status.

I. Documents required for degree recognition

1. Application form (can be provided by the DOATAP secretariat or downloaded from DOATAP's website at:

2. Fee of 230.40 € (225€ + 2.4% additional charges) (undergraduate titles) or 184.32 (180 + 2.4% additional charges) (postgraduate titles) payable to the Bank of Greece (SWIFT CODE: BNGRGRAA, IBAN: GR05 0100 0240 0000 0002 6072 595). On the deposit slip should be referred as depositor the citizen requesting recognition.

3. Copy of passport or identity card certified by Greek Official Embassies/Consulates/Greek Lawyers

4. An official statement of law (N. 1599/86) stating that:
a. all submitted documents are original.
b. there has been no other application for accreditation to DOATAP or any other Public Authority.
c. the place of study (for all the years of study)
d. all the studies required for the award of the title to be recognized have been completed

5. A certified copy of High School Diploma. For non E.U. countries, the U.S.A., the former U.S.S.R. and Canada, one must also submit a certificate issued by a qualified authority of the country (i.e. cultural Attache of the relative Embassy in Greece) stating that the holder of the specific High School diploma has the right to enter higher education.

6. A certified copy of the degree to be recognised. The degree must also be verified for authenticity reasons according to the Hague Convention (APOSTILLE). For countries not participating in the Hague Convention, both the degrees and the official transcript should be certified by the Consular Authorities of Greece at the country in which the degree has been obtained. Alternatively, if the degree is not verified as described above, then the official transcript must be sent directly from the University to DOATAP.

7. An official transcript (grades from all subjects and from all the years of study, signed and stamped by the University, stating the date of award). If the transcript is not stamped according to the Hague Convention or verified by the Consular Authorities of Greece (for countries not participating in Hague Convention), it must come directly from the University to DOATAP.

8. A certificate for the location of studies must be sent by the Institution directly to DOATAP.  If the certificate is not written in Greek, English or French, then, additionally, it should, be submitted stamped according to the Hague Convention.  The certificate should verify that all applicant’s studies, from ……..  to …….., took place and were completed in  …………… (country, city, campus) and nowhere else.
For PhD degrees with no coursework required,  instead of the abovementioned certificate,  the Institution should send directly to DOATAP a confirmation letter referring to student’s personal data, study program’s duration and type, graduation date, research supervision and thesis defense.
For distance learning studies, instead of the abovementioned certificate, the relevant questionnaire will be completed by the Institution and sent directly to DOATAP.

9. A Syllabus / Bulletin of the Institution if either the Institution or the faculty has not been accredited by DOATAP.

10. Dissertation / thesis (for postgraduate degrees) along with a greek summary in the case of a doctorate thesis (returned at the end of the recognition procedure).


1. If documents are submitted by someone else, an authorization or a validation of the applicant’s signature by the Police is required.

2. All documents must be officially translated if they are not in English or French. Translation should be made at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs / the Greek Consular Authorities in Greece or by an authorized lawyer.

3. If there are intermediate titles before a degree is issued, these must be submitted as well.

4. For doctorate titles from Albania, Romania, Bulgaria and Serbia, more documents are needed (information at the Information Department in DOATAP).

5. For medical degrees from E.U countries, a professional license is also required.

6. In the case of co-examination of titles a fee of 414,72€ is necessary.


1. DOATAP is free to ask for any further evidence concerning one’s studies.

2. No application is examined if all required documents have not been submitted

II. Permit for Practicing the Medical Profession & Registration at the local Medical Association

After degree recognition, one must apply for a permit at the respective local authority for Public Health (every Prefecture has one) and register at the local medical association. Certain documents are required:

1. Application towards the local authority for Public Health (provided on the spot).
2. Copy of medical degree (for non EU/EEA degrees, official translation in Greek and recognition by DOATAP is required / for EU/EEA degrees, a copy of the degree (or certificate of State Exam) acording to Article 3 of Directive 93/16/5.4.93 of the EU, a certificate from the respective authority of their country stating that the degree or certificate of State Exam abide to the Directive 93/16/5.4.93 of the EU, all certified by the authority (APOSTILLE) and translated officially in Greek by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
3. Copy of personal penal record (obtained recently, no more than 3 months)
4. Birth certificate or copy of ID-card or Passport
5. 2 color photographs
6. A processing fee of 8€ issued by the local Tax Authority, or electronically
7. A special fee of 30€ issued by the local Tax Authority, or electronically (see below)
8. A paper file dossier
9. For Greek diaspora not registered citizens, permit of stay & work permit
10. For non-EU/EEA citizens, permit of stay, work permit & bilaterality certificate issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, certificate of Greek language competency (B2).
To register at the local medical association:

1. Copy of Medical degree, officially certified (by a lawyer or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
2. Copy of the Permit to practice the medical profession, officially certified
3. A special processing fee issued by EFKA (former ETAA/TSAY) public insurance authority (pre-registration is needed at the EFKA office to obtain an EFKA serial number)
4. 2 color photographs
5. Application form (provided on the spot)
6. A processing fee (amount varies and depends on the policy of the medical association).

III. Language skills

In general, competency of the Greek language is required for all foreign graduates who would like to begin working as trainees or specialists in Greece. The level of competence required is B2 (Good). A certificate can be issued after passing a certain exam (taking place twice a year) by the respective University (more info below) and is submitted to obtain the permit to practice the medical profession.

IV. Insurance

Registration at EFKA public insurance authority is needed for all practicing physicians in Greece (both public and private sector). Pre-registration is needed for registering at the local medical association (see above). The registration process is finalized after getting employed at an institution or after opening a private practice.

V. Immigration status

One must obtain a legal immigration status to practice Medicine in Greece. This can be obtained in the form of a temporary or permanent permit to stay & work, political asylum or others. Specifics are provided by the Ministry of Foreign
One must obtain a legal immigration status to practice Medicine in Greece. This can be obtained in the form of a temporary or permanent permit to stay & work, political asylum or others. Specifics are provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Where else can we find more information?
4.  http://
7. EFKA (formerly ETAA/TSAY):

1.3. Are there any application deadlines (if so, when)?
Furthermore, how long does the professional recognition procedure usually take?


No deadlines are available. Applications can be submitted anytime. Recognition procedure by DOATAP usually takes a few days. Application for a permit to practice medicine can take up to a few weeks. Registration gets done instantly at the medical association.


Where else can we find more information? see links above.

1.4. Are there any sort of examinations/interviews to apply for Medical Professional Recognition?


1.5.1. What kind of professional medical degrees are there in your country?


  1. Medical School Degree (M.D.) issued by Greek Medical Schools for a 6-years' cycle of studies in Medicine.

  2. Medical Specialty Degree, obtained after finishing a certain medical specialty training curriculum (4-7 years), issued by the Ministry of Health

  3. Medical Master's Degree (M.Sc.) , obtained after finishing a certain medical master's post-graduate training curriculum, issued by the respective University.

  4. Medical Doctorate (Ph.D.) Degree, issued after completing a thesis and successfully defending it, by the respective University.


Where else can we find more information?


1.5.2. How do you access each degree?

Already explained above. Each equivalent degree obtained abroad has to be recognized to be able to use it in Greece, following the processes described above.

Part Two

| Training in your country

2.1. Which organisation is responsible for medical training in your country?
In case your country has more than one organisation with this function, please attach to this survey a simple list of names and websites where we can acquire more information.



In case your country has more then one organisation with this function, please attach to this survey a simple list of names and websites where we can acquire more information.


  1. Pre-graduate medical education (responsible are the 7 medical schools situated at the universities of athens, thessaloniki, patras, larissa, ioannina, alexandroupolis and heraklion, all monitored by the hellenic ministry of education, research and religious affairs)



Type of organisation (professional, government, etc.): GOVERMENTAL

Phone number: MINISTRY CALLING CENTER: (+30) 210-3442000 / CITIZEN INFO OFFICE: 210-3442793,  210-3442806, 210-3442649, 210-3442505, 210-3442508

Fax: N/A 

Contact person: N/A




  1. Post-graduate medical education (responsible is the central board of health - “KESY” in greek, monitored by the hellenic ministry of health)




Type of organisation (professional, government, etc.): GOVERMENTAL

Phone number: MINISTRY CALLING CENTER: (+30) 213-2161000, 213-2161001 , CENTRAL BOARD OF HEALTH, SECRETARIAT: (+30) 210-8208708

Fax: N/A






2.2. Besides professional recognition, is there any other requirement for a doctor to start his training/begin to work (i.e. examination, clerkship, internship)? Namely, which documents/examinations are necessary when applying for training/job?

There is no special requirement for a recognized doctor to start training/begin to work within a certain specialty. The application procedure that has to be followed is monitored by each local authority for Public Health (one for each Region of Greece).

2.2.1. Where are training positions advertised?

Training positions only exist in public hospitals and are generally advertised on the official website of each respective local authority for Public Health (one for each prefecture of Greece). For example, for major cities, like Athens or Thessaloniki, one must apply to:

Where else can we find more information?

Information can be found on the official websites of all Regions of Greece (Public Health Authorities). Please refer to the official website of the Union of Administrative Regions of Greece (ENPE) at:

2.3. Are there any application deadlines (if so, which)?

There are no specific application deadlines for applying for a training position. The procedure works on a “first come, first served” basis, that means that priority is given to an individual only according to the date of submission of their applications.

2.4. How do applicants choose what and where they would like to train?

An individual is free to choose the medical specialty he/she would like to train at. There is no limitation whatsoever in terms of determining the specialty itself. However, some specialties in Greece require 2 or more different rotations (i.e. Vascular Surgery requires 2 years of General Surgery, 4 years of Vascular Surgery, 6 months Heart Surgery and 6 months Thoracic Surgery), which means one must apply first for the 1st part, then for the 2nd part after having started working, etc. This can lead to a lot of waiting time due to administrative reasons.

Information on the number of open training positions can be found on the respective websites of each Region of Greece (see above). Specific information on the training institutions can be found by accessing the websites of each University/teaching Hospital of interest.

Where else can we find more information?
See above for Regions websites.
University/teaching Hospitals websites can be found at the following websites, by choosing the Healthcare Region of interest (YPE):
1. 1st YPE (Attica):
2. 2nd YPE (Piraeus and Islands):
3. 3rd YPE (Macedonia):
4. 4th YPE (Macedonia and Thrace):
5. 5th YPE (Thessaly and Central Greece):
6. 6th YPE (Peloponnese, Ionian Islands, Epirus and Western Greece):
7. 7th YPE (Crete):

2.5. Is there a fee/tuition for attending a training programme?

No, there is no tuition or fee for attending a training programme in Greece. Training is provided only in public hospitals for all recognized doctors for free by the State.

2.6. Do trainees receive a salary during training?


Yes. All trainees/residents receive a basic monthly salary plus an extra revenue for their 12-, 18- or 24-hour shifts. For all residents shifts are worked by being physically present at the hospital, there are no “on-calls”.

2.6.1. Moreover, what is the current salary and is overtime paid?

Current initial salary (gross, before taxes) for a trainee/resident is: 1199 EUR. All residents also receive a benefit of 230 EUR/month as hospital workers. Along the training process, one receives an increase (working time benefit) of 42 EUR/year. Shifts are paid separately, and monthly shifts revenue/resident range between 500-600 EUR/month. Overtime is not paid for residents, generally. Depending on hospital budget, one receives remuneration only for extra shifts (more than 7 that is the monthly limit).

2.6.2. What type of contracts are there? How long are the working and on-calls times?


There is only one general contract for all trainees/residents. This is a contract under private Greek law (not public), valid for a certain time (full specialization or partial specialization). Usual working times are from 8am to 3pm (7 hours/day) and there is a variety of shifts (12-hour, 18-hour, 24-hour) according to each specialty and each department’s actual needs. There are no “on-calls” for residents.

2.6.3. Are sick leave, vacation days, maternity leave, voluntary work allowed and do they entail a reduction of salary?

Sick leave, vacation days (common leave) (2 days/worked month), maternity/paternity leave and educational leave for attending medical conferences/seminars/workshops etc. (15 days/year) are all allowed. Sick leave is added to the total training time and has to be worked at the end of the training period. Voluntary work is generally not allowed in Greek public hospitals, however one can follow a department’s daily programme after getting a special permit by the department’s head and/or the hospital scientific board’s positive recommendation.

Where else can we find more information?
An individual must contact the respective Human Resources Office at their training hospital for more information and clarifications.
Find more information by reading relative Greek legislature: L. 2071/1992:
L. 3144/2003:

2.7. In general terms, how is the training assessment done?
i.e. exams, evaluations, interviews, appraisal

Training assessment is done by a final State Exam, which takes place after successfully finishing the curriculum of the training program. The exam lasts several hours (or even consecutive days) and usually consists of an oral and a written part. In some specialties, practical skills get assessed as well. The State Exam takes place several times/year (usually every 2-3 months) and each individual gets examined by a committee of specialists, consisting of both University professors and senior consultants.

Where else can we find more information?

For more information, each individual can refer to the official announcements on the website of the Ministry of Health: as well as on the website of every local medical association (for example for Athens:, for Thessaloniki: etc.).
Websites of local medical associations are available at: or at the official website of the Panhellenic Medical Association (PIS):

Part Three

| Other details about training/working in your country

3.1. Is mobility possible inside and outside the country during your training?

Mobility is possible inside the country, however it is quite difficult in most cases, due to bureaucracy. When an individual wants to change training hospitals in between a training program, even pursuing the same specialty, the application process needs to be performed from the beginning. This can cause a delay of several weeks to a few months, during which time the doctor is unemployed. Mobility outside Greece is extremely complex, but it is possible in many cases. An individual has to resign from his original training post in Greece in order to train/work abroad for a period of time. Then, this training done abroad can be recognized as specialty training time, by following a special recognition process performed by the Central Board of Health (KESY).

Where else can we find more information?
For domestic mobility, please refer to the websites of Greek Regions and Healthcare Regions-YPE  (see above). Interested parties can contact KESY Secretariat to ask specific information on mobility abroad. CENTRAL BOARD OF HEALTH, SECRETARIAT:

3.2. How many trainees are there in your country?
Divided, if possible, by in each speciality.


Divided, if possible, by in each speciality.

In total, there are around 21000 trainees in Greece registered under the records kept by the Panhellenic Medical Association (source: ELSTAT, 2016). Out of them, only 8000 are registered as active residents and 13000 are registered as doctors without specialty. This is mainly due to long waiting times to begin a certain specialty (unemployed), or due to the high numbers of medical graduates leaving the country to specialize abroad (Greek financial crisis since 2009), although without getting themselves erased from the PhMA records. Unfortunately, there is no cumulative data on trainee numbers under each specialty, as those are under constant change.

Where else can we find more information?


More info can be accessed at the official Greek Statistics Authority - ELSTAT:




3.3. What are the success, training drop-out and post-training employment rates?

Success rates at the final State Exam vary from specialty to specialty and range between 60-100% depending also on the number of candidates. Training drop-out rates are quite low, ranging below 10%. Post-training employment rates are very specialty-dependent. Many young specialists decide to open their own private practice, while only around 40% gets employed right after finishing their training in the National (public) Healthcare System. Since 2009, due to the financial crisis, great numbers of young specialists (around 8000) chose to leave the country to work abroad.

Where else can we find more information?
One may contact the Central Board of Health-KESY’s Secretariat to ask specific information on final State Exam success rates according to each specialty. CENTRAL BOARD OF HEALTH, SECRETARIAT:

3.4. Is there an accreditation procedure for training centres (and do they include visitations)?

Accreditation of training centres includes visitations and is being monitored by the Central Board of Health-KESY of the Ministry of Health. KESY has recently (2017) launched special Working Groups for each medical specialty, which work towards establishing guidelines for providing up-to-date accreditation to all training centres for medical specialists across the country.

Where else can we find more information?


3.5. Is there any national recertification/revalidation scheme to practice?

No, there is none.

3.6. Are there any differences in the application procedure according to the country of origin of a trainee?

See specific requirements by DOATAP above (paragraph 1.2).

Where else can we find more information?
DOATAP Website:

3.7.1. Are there any restrictions for a foreign doctor who is undergoing training in your country to work there afterwards?

Restrictions may apply for non-EU/EEA citizens that do not have valid stay and/or work permits. Otherwise, restrictions can also apply if a certain doctor has been proven guilty of misconduct during their training.

Where else can we find more information?
DOATAP Website:

3.7.2. Moreover, is it possible for a trainee undergoing training in another EU/EEA country to do part of his training in your country? If so, what are the necessary requirements/documents?

Yes, this is possible, provided certain requirements are met. Basic requirement is recognition of the medical degree by DOATAP, as well as the training done so far by a special recognition process performed by KESY.

Where else can we find more information?

Contact DOATAP at:

3.8. Please summarise the general timeline between the time where a doctor has just graduated until he has attained a final senior post as an independent medical doctor.
In other words, please describe, in general terms, the training of a junior doctor in your country.

After graduation (and after recognizing your medical degree - for foreign trainees), you apply for receiving the permit to practice Medicine at the local authority for Public Health of the Region where you permanently live. After receiving the permit, you may apply for a training position in your chosen specialty. You can access all available training positions in the Region you would like to train at, by visiting the official website for medical specialties management. After making your choice (you may only choose 1 training position at a time), you have to apply for it by visiting the local Public Health authority of the chosen Region. After successful application, you will be informed per mail at the postal address you have given, when the position becomes available, then you have to present at the training institution (teaching hospital) in 2 weeks’ time and begin your training. During your training, you may have to reapply for the 2nd part (or 3rd part etc.) of your specialty training (if your specialty has more than 1 training part). You do that by following the same procedure as above.  After finishing your training curriculum (4-7 years), you have to sit for the final State Exam, and after successfully passing it, you receive the degree as a specialist. As a specialist, you may either choose to open your private medical practice, or apply for a specialist position in the hospital of your choice (public or private). If you apply for a position in a public hospital (National Healthcare System - ESY), that would be for the 1st level of employment (“consultant-B”). This can either be a permanent position or a temporary position, both are regularly advertised by the Ministry of Health at its official website. Temporary positions are 1-year contracts (or 2- or 3-year contracts in some exceptional cases). If you receive a permanent position, that means you can work and build-up your career within the ESY - thus becoming a senior consultant or “consultant-A”, and, finally an “intendant”, which is the most senior level within the ESY.

Where else can we find more information?

3.9. Is it compulsory to have malpractice (or any other) insurance?

It is not compulsory for trainees to have malpractice insurance. As a trainee in Greece you become automatically insured with EFKA (former ETAA-TSAY) after getting employed. This ensures that you receive a pension once retired, as well as full health insurance within the National Healthcare System - ESY. Trainees are also covered by the employer in terms of cases of civil lawsuits. Since trainees have limited liability during their training, the above usually covers most of the cases when a unsatisfied patient would submit a lawsuit asking for compensation. However, this does not cover cases of malpractice that have led to serious injury or death of a patient. Therefore, it is recommended that all trainees get privately insured for malpractice in general. Available insurance options are usually offered by the local medical association where a trainee is registered before receiving the permit to practice Medicine (see above).

3.10. What is the general perspective/position on immigration of medical trainees to your country?

Especially after the begin of the financial crisis of 2009, Greece offers good perspectives to willing foreign medical graduates to do their specialty training and even work in the country as young specialists. The crisis and the subsequent brain drain waves have, unfortunately, caused many vacancies in various specialties, such as Anesthesiology, General Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, Heart Surgery and others, not only in peripheral but also in central, tertiary or even university hospitals in major Greek cities. Traditionally, Greece receives immigrating foreign trainees from Cyprus, the Balkans and the Middle East. The only substantial hindrance would be learning the Greek language and obtaining the certificate of competency, which, however can be easily overcome by choosing from a variety of Greek language learning courses already available by many Greek Universities.

3.11. What is the general perspective/position on emigration of medical trainees to foreign countries?

Emigration of Greek medical graduates abroad for specialty training/work as young specialists has extremely grown in the late years, especially after the strike of the financial crisis of 2009. It is estimated that around 14000 doctors have left the country in the past decade, of which around 8000 junior doctors. Although mobility has always been favorable for Greek junior doctors, who would choose Europe and the USA for specializing or subspecializing in certain fields, the emigration waves of the past decade have caused a malfunction of the ESY, with many hospitals lacking essential staff to function properly, thus leading in deterioration of the offered healthcare services and the rise of concerns pertaining patient safety, safe working conditions and physicians’ wellbeing.

3.12. Are there any restrictions in your country to comply with the consolidated version of EU 2005/36?

No, there are not. Greece has fully incorporated the EU Directive 2005/36 into national Law and has harmonized its relevant previous legislation as not to be opposed to it. Interested doctors may contact the special department of international affairs of the Hellenic Ministry of Education, Research and Religious Affairs at:
Website: Address: Andrea Papandreou 37, 151 80, Marousi, Greece
Telephones: (+30) 210-3443763, 210-3442802, 210-3442869, 210-3442795, 210-3442821, 210-3442807, 210-3442819

3.13. Which organisation(s) specialise in assisting doctors in legal and work matters?
i.e. trade unions, medical chambers, other organizations.

Both hospital and freelance doctors seeking advice in legal and work matters may contact the Panhellenic Medical Association at:

Address: Ploutarhou 3, 10675, Athens, Greece
Telephones: (+30) 210-7258660, 210-7258661, 210-7258662, 210-7295031, 210-7295032
Fax: (+30) 210-7258663

or their local medical association (where they are registered at). A list of all medical associations can be found at: and at:

For work matters, a hospital doctor may also contact the local branch of the Federation of Trade Unions of Hospital Doctors (OENGE) at:
Address: Lamias 2, Ampelokipoi, 11522, Athens, Greece
Telephone: (+30) 210-5232215
Fax: (+30) 210-5234725
Email: or by filling-in the e-contact form:

3.14. Is there any other information you consider relevant with regard to this subject?

For Greek language speakers, more detailed information on various issues regarding studying Medicine, getting trained in a medical specialty and working as a doctor in Greece can be found at the following free public forum: